Oaxaca Black Clay Pre-hispanic Serving Tray
BARRO NEGRO OF OAXACA
Striking and unique black clay serving trays handcrafted in Oaxaca, México featuring a pre-hispanic design and available in two sizes: shallow and deep. The shallow (flat) tray works well as a cheese platter, or as a decorative tray for layering key pieces. The deep tray can handle pastas, roasted veggies, sliced steak, and whatever else you can imagine (with a tall enough rim to catch those juices). Use them to serve breakfast-in-bed, or as a centerpiece on your coffee table. These conversation starters are true works of art, as gorgeous as they are versatile.
A style of pottery unique to Oaxaca, barro negro is distinguished by its color and silvery finish. It's origins date back centuries and the color is derived not from dye or glaze but from the use of special, locally-sourced clay. Every piece is hand-polished which results in its sultry sheen.
These pieces are designed and produced in San Bartolo de Coyotepec, a community in Oaxaca with a long history of producing barro negro pottery. All clay is locally sourced from the hills of the region and handmade (no pottery wheels are used).
Please note these pieces are made individually by hand, without the use of a mould. Each piece will vary slightly in size and shape. We believe the unique, one-of-a-kind nature of handmade items is part of their allure, and we hope you agree.
- Handmade in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Sizes - Shallow (flat) tray: 11" Diameter x 1" Tall; Deep Tray: 11.5" Diameter x 2" Tall
- Materials - Oaxacan black clay
- Care - To clean, hand wash (with non abrasive materials) and towel dry (or air dry). Not recommended for use in the dishwasher or microwave.
- 5% of proceeds are donated to plant and restore mangrove forests in Baja, Mexico