Pai Pai Matrimonio Vases - Various sizes
HANDCRAFTED IN BAJA
A "matrimonio" (marriage) shaped clay vase handmade in the Pai Pai community of Baja, Mexico. This style of vase is traditionally gifted to couples at their wedding in Pai Pai culture. The shape is meant to signify the union of two people. These very special pieces are ground-fired which results in a unique set of markings. Intended for use with dry stems or as decorative conversation-starters.
This type of pottery is designed and handmade by Daria Mariscal in a very remote town in northern Baja, Mexico. Daria harvests and hand-processes the local clay and ground-fires each piece, as generations of her female ancestors have before her. She is one of less than 200 members of the Pai Pai group, an indigenous community in Baja pre-dating the Spanish settlement. Daria speaks Pai Pai and Spanish.
Due to the handmade nature of the pieces, each one will vary slightly in size, shape, and appearance.
These are very limited edition pieces; we have only a few and do not re-stock often.
- Handcrafted in Baja, Mexico
- Materials: Locally sourced clay
- Large: 9" H x 7" D (each piece may vary slightly in size and appearance)
- Small: 7.5" H x 5" D (each piece may vary slightly in size and appearance)
- If cleaning is needed, rinse with water and allow to air dry on a clean towel.